Friday, June 08, 2007

Clothing....optional?

I think I've mentioned that Lydia has been in her new room with the twin size bed for several weeks now. The transition was actually painless and quite smooth. She has had no problems sleeping at night and always stays in her bed. Naptime is another matter. She actually sleeps about half the time and I consider this sucessful since even in her crib she would play for sometimes 2 hours before she finally gave up and fell asleep. So somedays she goes up there and just has "quiet time" which I should probably re-name "private play time" since quiet doesn't exactly describe it!! The good thing is that she is happy in this routine and whether she sleeps or not I have the opportunity to get some things done (or maybe get some rest) without interruption.

Yesterday afternoon there was no nap. After a couple of hours, I went in to get her. I wish I had had the camera. She had opened up the rubbermaid box that currently serves as her step up into bed and she was sitting inside it ---shirtless--- playing with Pup and a few other things. As I walked in she grinned at me saying, " I get in Mommy, I get in!". (I didn't know she knew how to get a shirt off...I puzzled about how she managed it until I saw her try it later.)

This morning, I heard her wake up but didn't get her right away. She is usually happy to play for a little while and doesn't get fussy if I don't come in immediately. Well, I guess I waited a little too long today. When I went in I found her sitting at her table in her room ---wearing only her p.j. t-shirt --- having "becksis" (breakfast) with Pup. She was in one chair and Pup was in the other. The wet diaper (thankfully only wet and there were no accidents that I could find in the room) was discarded on the floor by the bed along with the p.j. shorts. She had also gotten into her closet and pulled out an assortment of items and diapers that were within reach. (Unfortunately the closet door doesn't close tightly so now we are going to have to figure out how to keep it shut!) Again, I thought of my camera this morning. I was a bit exasperated but Ben and I had to laugh. She looked so hilarious sitting bare-buns at the table pretending to sip from a cup and eating a plastic hamburger and apple from a frying pan, telling me: "I have becksis and Pup!!"

6 comments:

Ldani said...

How funny! It sounds like she was planning on getting dressed again this morning and was just distracted by the need for breakfast.

JM said...

What great memories!!

Kelley said...

Your stories about Lydia always make me smile. She is such a happy child. :-)

JM said...

Jen, we call it "down time" and it has been great! When Nathan finally gives up naps, I still want MY "down time." :)

Kathy said...

Since we are bereft of grandchildren living here in Mexico, we are reduced to wishing for cameras at other moments, such as the day we went for a walk around the 4.2 mi. track near our house and came across a squirrel nibbling away at a whole tortilla, holding it in front of him like an oversized napkin or something....

Anonymous said...

Okay, can we say all together, Having children, grandchildren, nieces, friends' children etc. is wonderful? God said, "I will create delight in the world by creating children."
How wonderful to imagine you sitting outside while it was raining and you talking to Lydia about creation! :) Rob